Qualities & Uses of Curd
Curd / Yogurt / Dahi is very common as a popular food item in every Indian kitchen. Charak has mentioned the following qualities about the curd:
रोचनं दीपनं वृष्यं स्नेहनं बलवर्धनम्|
पाकेऽम्लमुष्णं वातघ्नं मङ्गल्यं बृंहणं दधि||२२५||
पीनसे चातिसारे च शीतके विषमज्वरे|
अरुचौ मूत्रकृच्छ्रे च कार्श्ये च दधि शस्यते||२२६||
शरद्ग्रीष्मवसन्तेषु प्रायशो दधि गर्हितम्|
रक्तपित्तकफोत्थेषु विकारेष्वहितं च तत्||२२७||
rocanaṃ dīpanaṃ vṛṣyaṃ snehanaṃ balavardhanam|
pāke’mlamuṣṇaṃ vātaghnaṃ maṅgalyaṃ bṛṃhaṇaṃ dadhi||225||
pīnase cātisāre ca śītake viṣamajvare|
arucau mūtrakṛcchre ca kārśye ca dadhi śasyate||226||
śaradgrīṣmavasanteṣu prāyaśo dadhi garhitam|
raktapittakaphottheṣu vikāreṣvahitaṃ ca tat||227||
225-226. Curd is an (Rochana) appetizer, taste enhancer, (Deepana) digestive-stimulant, (Vrushya) aphrodisiac, increases unctuousness (Snehana) and improves strength and immunity (Balavardhana), is sour on digestion (Amla Vipaka), hot (Ushna) and curative of Vata (Vataghna) and is auspicious (Mangalya) and roborant (Brumhana). It is recommended in rhinitis (Pinasa), diarrhoea (Atisara), algid and irregular fevers (vishamajwara) , anorexia (Aruchi), dysuria or difficulty to pass urine (Mutrakrichra) and emaciation (Karshya).
227. Curd is generally prohibited in autumn, summer and spring season and it is also unwholesome in diseases caused by the vitiation of blood, Pitta and Kapha.
Qualities of Curd:
- As curd absorbs water from intestine hence it is widely used to treat diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Curd is an effective solution for people who want to gain weight. For this, curd should be taken along with jiggery.
- Curd when taken with ginger and rice is effective for persons suffering with in piles and diarrhoea.
- Curd enhances digestion as nutrient present in curd are easily absorbed by your digestive system. It also strengthens the digestive system. Being acidic in nature, it enhances salivation which helps in digestion of other food too. Curd cools down and neutralizes the heat produced by spicy foods, so it can be consumed with such foods.
- Curd taken along with sugar just before meal helps to increase quality and quantity of semen.
- Curd keeps you away from bacterial oral problems. Tartar and Bacteria which are the reasons for many oral diseases are prevented by Curd.
- Curd is rich in nutrients like zinc, Vitamin E and phosphorus which make it a natural skincare product. It is often used as an ingredient in homemade face packs.
- Presence of lactic acid (which has anti-fungal properties) in curd makes it a very good cure for dandruff.
- Curd is quite beneficial for your bones and teeth as it has high amount of phosphorous and calcium.
- ‘Good bacteria’ present in curd helps strengthening immune system by fighting against several microorganisms present in the body. It is also useful in preventing vaginal yeast infection in women.
Even though curd has numerous benefits, it should be consumed with keeping following points in mind:
- It should not be eaten at nights.
- It should not be boiled or heated.
- It should be used only when it is well formed or completely coagulated.
- It mitigates vata dosha, increases kapha and pitta. Curd should not be used in diseases where blood is vitiated by doshas.
- Sour curds should be avoided if you have gastritis.